Monday, February 27, 2012

tickled (not) pink...


Just a sneak peek at the Big Ballerina's bedroom. It's all painted out. I even channeled my inner Martha this weekend. And sewed a duvet cover for her bed. 

I haven't done that in years. But I got tired of trying to find "the perfect one" in stores and online. So I went back to Macy's where I bought her sheets. Grabbed a set of Martha's sheets in the perfect blue.

On clearance. With an extra 30% off. *woot*

Took the flat sheets from both sets. Cut them to size. Finished the bottom edges. And sewed them together. (Leaving an opening at the bottom, of course.)

An hour and $15 later. Her bed was made. And LB was asking me to do the same for her room.

I decided to use different sheets for each side of the cover so she'd have options. And so she could actually make her bed herself. Just pull the duvet up. Fold over the top. Done. Instant coordinated look.

There are still a bunch of changes to make in her room. But tonight she actually chose to go up to her room to read.

And LB couldn't resist ambushing her.


12 comments:

Megan said...

You sew??!! I am trying to learn and am amazed at the duvet cover idea! You left an opening at the bottom and do you put buttons or what?

Gabe said...

Sisterly love!!!

Love the color. . .go Martha go!

Jen said...

Come on...show me in color. You are so smart with your sewing and giving her options. I love it.

mandy said...

lady you are on a roll with the home decor...loving it!

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

Love the antique feel of the shot, and of course the ticklefest capture! Very impressed with the use of a sewing machine.
Dana

sloan said...

how i wish i could use a sewing machine!! love what i see in this shot - the bed, the bedding, the sock monkey, and most of all ... the sisters laughing together :)

Caroline said...

How perfect is that? I wish I could sew...that would be so awesome and I would have a bed full of perfect pillows! LOL

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Oh my gosh, it looks great! You never said you were talented with a needle! That is a great idea. And her room looks good too. I think that color will do well over the years.

Kristi said...

That looks so great! I just love that picture, I hope my girls get along well like that when they get older!

You make me want to learn how to sew!!

{cindy} said...

oh to learn to sew....how awesome would that be?!?!:)
lots of new and exciting things going on in yoru house. you're starting to rub off on me...i want to paint something!:)
that is a simply beautiful shot kim.
have a happy night

ps
i took a 2 saturday photo class at the community college.
it was really good.just need to make myself sit down and practice more:)

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

wow girl you are awesome!! i wish i could sew a duvet cover...so jealous of your mad skills!! congrats on making so much progress! i am starting to make a few decorating decisions and will blog about them in the near future!! (adorable happy picture of the girls ;)) hugs, cathy

A room with a view said...

Looks amazing..great picture and the color, too. Impressive sewing.