Friday, February 17, 2012

Murphy's Law...

Murphy Brown. Murphy's Law. Whatever it is. The universe is determined to undermine my good intentions.

I promise I won't talk about paint for the rest of the year. But just as I'm moving forward on a set course, I find things like this in my mailbox.


Yes, Coastal Living magazine smacks me in the face with "Fresh Paint Ideas for every room!" and "Have fun with color! The best ways to brighten your home and your life."

I shouldn't read it. Right? I should just ignore it. Information overload. I must resist. But my design ADHD wants nothing more than to devour this issue. Crap!

And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. The Big Ballerina had to write an acrostic poem for English this week. With five extra bonus points if she could make it tell a story and rhyme. She was not thrilled with the assignment. I told her, "Write about something you know. It will make it much easier." Here is her poem...

Behind the door is green and yellow paint.
Every time I see it, it makes me want to faint.
Do I paint it purple or blue?
Red and orange are good colors too.
Over and over we paint a swatch.
Onto the walls and then we watch.
My poor bedroom! It's becoming a botch.

She was stumped on the last line so she googled, "words that rhyme with watch." And then she asks me, "What does botch mean?" Ba-bam! 105 on her homework assignment.


Off to grab a Diet Coke and read my new Coastal Living magazine. Happy Friday!

16 comments:

Erin (Out on a Limb) said...

Oh, God, I am laughing so hard right now. For several reasons. I seem to live by Murphy's Law without question and I love irony. I have to because of Murphy. The acrostic just killed me. Hilarious. The paint swatches everywhere. Classic. SO relatable. I feel your pain. I'm driving my husband bonkers with paint ideas/questions for our basement and bath. And he doesn't care. At all.

Good luck and enjoy your Coastal Living!

Anonymous said...

We are still living with an ugly orange/peach color in our bathroom because we couldn't decide 3 years ago when we moved into house.

humble habit said...

Ha, I love it. Her poem is fantastic so inspired by her surroundings, she will do well to keep that skill. Colour swatches I love them, sometimes I think it would look great to just leave them on the wall, they tell a story far more than one entire colour. My favorites at the moment are orange and a muted stormy blue.

Nicolle said...

Love this! The poem, Coastal Living, the sock monkey. Love.

I hope you enjoyed your diet coke and your magazine. I used to subscribe to it, then I just got jealous b/c I didn't live near the coast, so I stopped. Thinking I should subscribe again though. :)

Sheryl said...

See..if you didn't have these crazy indecisive paint moments then BB wouldn't have all this inspiration!! Xx

Megan said...

Just bought that issue today! LOVE the poem.

Anonymous said...

OMG...that's absolutely hysterical! Damn Coastal Living...always making us feel like we live in a shack! :) The poem is true BB to the core. Now that BSD is home, just let him pick the color. (yea...right...) Hope you had a great VDay dinner tonight! -A

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Is that the new color in her room or the old? I like it!!

sloan said...

BB's acrostic poem is so awesome - totally deserving of that 105 - i love it!! good luck, i can't wait to see how it all pans out :)

karren said...

Oh my gosh!!! Your blog is fast becomming my therapy...the daily laugh! I LOVE the photo and the oem. Hilarious!! how was the magazine? Did it have your second guessing everything you had already done?

Kristin said...

I'm with Karren, your blog always makes me laugh! You are a hoot girl and I see that BB didn't fall from her Mama's apple tree!

{cindy} said...

oh sorry kim!! but i can't help but laugh! it really does always work that way doesn't it!:) so....you've had the weekend...is larry the painter staying till christmas??
have a happy day kim

ps
love the poem!

Jen said...

Babam...indeed!
So I like the green...Cute bedding and super cute sock monkey! It will come to you and it will be perfect!

Karina said...

I think the mailman is in on the conspiracy. I'm loving the shades of blue green. I kind of like the swatch look. Little K has the same monkey (in pink) on her bed. Can't wito see your end result.

Kristi said...

You are so funny, and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Her little poem had me cracking up. That bedding is adorable too. I don't care if you talk about paint till Christmas! I think I can pick out the new color for our bonus room just by looking at all your swatches! :)

Jennifer Thompson said...

Oh, you crack me up!
The poem is AWESOME, very deserving of that mark.
Enjoy your diet coke...CHEERS!