Thursday, February 23, 2012

This Indecision's Bugging Me...

The painting is all done. And as my friend, Mitzi said in her comment, it IS like the story "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." I knew that going in. Which is why it took me so long to take the plunge.

So....nothing is finished just yet. There are duvet covers on back order. Carpet swatches lining the bedroom floors. And paintings still waiting to be hung.

Oh, and more magazines filling my mailbox just to taunt me.


One of the things I've been waffling over is drapes. I have Roman shades on most of the windows, but since there is no moulding around them I also had drapes to dress the windows. I couldn't decide whether or not to put them back up. Especially in the dining room.


That is, until I spotted this light show going on in there the other morning.


Nope. No drapes going back up in between those windows. But do you think it would look strange to just hang them on the outer edges of the two windows?



I don't know. I like fabric. And it just looks nake-y in there now.

*big heaving sigh*

Should they stay or should they go?

I enjoy this. I really do. But I also hate it at the same time.

What Am I Going to be When I Grow Up?
47. HGTV's Next Design Star winner

10 comments:

Pam said...

i have those same roman shades in every window on the main floor of my house...and in my dining room i have drapes hanging on only one side of each window. I love the look..try it. I think it'll look great..especially with your sunburst mirror right in the middle!!

sloan said...

whoa, carpet samples? new bedding? paintings? this is turning into a major makeover, i'm so excited to see! as far as voting on the curtains, what do you have to lose by trying the outer-only panels?? i think it sounds fab!!

Casey Martinez said...

I love sunburst mirrors!! Love where you put yours too:). I've been wanting to get one for my entry way. Where did you get it? I have a similar curtain situation in my living room and I plan on just putting curtains on the out sides. I guess we can all see how it goes! lol. And boy do I know the whole give a mouse a cookie thing! We are in taht boat with my bathroom right now. Painting turned into crown molding, turned into beadboard, turned into new sink and faucet...sigh. lol

Megan said...

I like that displaced piece in between...and I think you should try the panels on the far sides. I really love the look of Roman shades, although I don't have any.

How's Larry?

Kerri said...

You are funny! I love the roman shades...I've been wanting those in our kitchen and diningroom....except I don't know how to hang them. (I know, pathetic.) I like the look of the panels on the outer part of the window...I think it will look great. Can't wait to see what you've got going on!

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I like the look without the drapes better. But I am a symmetrical sally, so I like to have things even and the same and all that.

Andrea @ little buckles said...

You sound busy! I love blinds. I'm not really a curtain fan as they seem to collect dust. All for an easy life :)

Anonymous said...

Where is MC when you need her expertise & talent?!

Far from an expert but I think a panel on each side would look nice. Would you hang them at window or ceiling level?

At our new house the former owner opted for French doors in the living room vs a large double window. It was puzzling to decorate or place furniture because I saw it as a door. There's a single door next to it between the living room & breakfast room so its usefulness was zilch. Well, excluding after Christmas when Greg chucked the Christmas tree out the door into the backyard vs trekking an old tree throughout the house.

A friend finally said to think of it as a large window. We hung white blinds at first but something still seemed to be missing. With her encouragement we hung cinnamon colored panels to frame our new window. It was the umph that space needed. We moved my big comfy chair & ottoman in front which is where I had hoped since the fireplace is nearby.

If you don't like the panels you can always return them to the store.

Don't forget to buy a bag of cookies & treat yourself during the decorating process :)

Mitzi

Nicolle said...

You make me smile.

Oh, and when I got that issue of BHG, I thought of you. :)

Kristi said...

Yes! Drapes on both sides will look fantastic! I have two windows like that in my front room, and as soon as I find some drapes that I like, I am going to do the same thing! Do it, and post pictures! :)