Sunday, March 14, 2010

Project Stairway: From Blech to Better

It's been a week and I'm happy to say the stairway project that I've been planning for almost a year is coming along nicely. If you remember, we started with this:

 Blech!
   

 Here is what we've accomplished so far...

Step 1: Remove the yucky carpet.

Step 2: Clean up the mess.

Step 3: Know your limits and hire someone to replace the treads for you.

Step 4: Paint the risers white.
(yes, this picture is fake. BSD did the painting, but I forgot to get a picture of him.)

Step 5: Restain the hand rails to match new treads.

Step 5: Enjoy the new look, for now...


because the finished project is still a step or two away.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! SUCH an improvement already! Congratulations. Love the littler helpers.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous. Now I want to re-do my stairs and make them just like yours - complete with the really cool photography on the walls! Am I allowed to ask how much the new risers cost?

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

SS- Thank you! We're really pleased with it so far. Still needs some touch-up painting and the "final" touches that I hope look as good as I'm envisioning.

Fawn- Thank you! Go for it! If you're REALLY handy people, you can do this yourselves. We weren't that brave. The oak treads were $20 each, on sale, at Home Depot. Then we paid for stain, paint and a few misc. pieces needed plus hardwood flooring for the landing. I emailed you the rest of the details.

Erin said...

FANTASTIC!

Three Men and a Little Crazy said...

Cute stairs! And nice blog...just stumbled over here from, well, I can't remember. I'm a SAHM trying to figure out my next move, so I found your blog's name very appealing. :)

Kim said...

Thanks, Erin!

TBF - Thank you. Glad you found your way over. Stop by anytime. :)

Haven and Home said...

Looks like you have some great helpers!