Monday, January 4, 2010

Magic Beans


It's Day 4 of the new year, and I'm cruising through these resolutions. I've taken a picture every day. I even tried a new recipe. I'm going to sail through 2010!




I made Hoppin' John for New Year's Day so that we'd all have good luck. BSD added pork medallions and brussel sprouts (it's in the cabbage family so it counts) to the meal so we'd be lucky and prosperous. And gassy. Perfect.

Not only that, but the ballerinas even ATE the new recipe. The Little Ballerina was willing to try a "magic bean" because we promised her a bigger ice cream sundae for dessert. Easy.

The Big Ballerina was a little harder sell. She was finally woo'ed by the prospect of good luck. I think she was hoping it would mean less studying for those damn geography tests. I know that's what I was praying for as she swallowed the bean like a pill with a gulp of orange juice. She even managed a nibble of a brussel sprout for some prosperity this year. Brave girl. She's saving up for some new American Girl doll clothes, and she knows that crap ain't cheap. Smart girl.

Again, so I remember this recipe for next year, I'm going to post it here. It really was great. It was wayyyy better than the black-eyed pea recipe I made last year. And, a little extra trivia I learned. If you eat Hoppin' John as leftovers the next day it's called "Skippin' Jenny" and you get extra good luck. :)



Hoppin' John
recipe adapted from Emeril Lagasse
 

Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large ham hock (I used smoked pork jowl which looked like a big slab of bacon)
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
  • 1 pound black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and rinsed
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • Bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dry thyme leaves
  • Salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper

Directions

Heat oil in a large soup pot, add the ham hock and sear on all sides for 4 minutes. Add the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic, cook for 4 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas, stock, bay leaves, thyme, and seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the peas are creamy and tender, stir occasionally. If the liquid evaporates, add more water or stock. Adjust seasonings, and garnish with green onions. Serve over rice.

4 comments:

storyqueen said...

That looks really good! (But I've got to say no to the brussel sprouts.) Sure, they look pretty...but my tummy no likey.

What a great idea, a new recipe a month!

Shelley

lisa and laura said...

Hoorah for New Years resolutions. Can't wait to see all your pictures (and more recipes). I hope you'll keep sharing them with us!

Eva said...

These pictures are awesome! You're doing a great job! And, these recipes sound scrumptious! Yum!

Kim said...

Shelley - Thank you! BS's don't upset my stomach, but another friend said the same thing. If you try a new recipe too, please share!

Lila - Thanks! I'll do that. I plan to take a picture everyday, but I don't think I'll post a pic every day just to post a pic. I'll add one to my posts when I do have something to share, though. And, I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes.

GSG - Welcome! Thanks for the encouragement. I love your pictures and am going to keep checking out your new ones for inspiration. Stop by anytime. :)