Saturday, January 28, 2012

I think it should be called Finding Your Courage...

I took the plunge and signed up for the last photography class in the series I've participated in through the local modern art museum. I really hesitated about this one. It's called "Finding Your Vision." Does anyone else think that sounds totally daunting?!

Going into this I knew it included a reception at the end. Kind of like a gallery showing. You have to choose 8-10 photos. Learn how to frame and hang them. And then have REAL people come view them. While you're standing right there. Not like posting them on a blog. In your pj's. Where invisible people pop by to look. And either leave. Or leave a nice comment. No. You have to physically put yourself out there. In real life. In real clothes. Thank God there will be alcohol there.

I went to the first class. I expected to see a lot of familiar faces. A bunch of moms. With a camera. Just like me.

ummm...not so much.

This class seems to be filled with retired professionals. A professor. A non-profit director. And even a non-retired surgeon. *shit* They're not going to want to look at pictures of my kids. What have I gotten myself into.

Before we left that first class we had to tell the teacher what our project would be. Already. At the first class. This alone pushes me right out of my comfort zone. What's the rush? I think we should get to know each other better. That's a little much on the first date.

The project has to tell a story. It has to have a beginning, a middle, and an end. Because not only are we going to have a reception but we're going to make a book. Not exactly sure how this will work. But this part I'm looking forward to. Yet this was the part that made the project that much harder. Especially for the nature photographers in the group.

We had to bring a sampling of what we've been shooting lately. I brought a few photos from my Project 365. And even though she wants to push us outside our comfort zone. She encouraged me to do "A Day in the Life." Phew!

Still. It won't be easy. We're not that interesting. And besides. It's winter. That means a good portion of our life. Like going to the beach. And riding bikes. Will be left out. And I'll be left showing pictures of laundry.


And homework.

And dirty floors.


Do you think it's too late to back out now? If not. I think I need to find the wizard. And get me some of that courage.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I for one am bummed that I don't live close enough to go the reception to see your awesome pictures. Good luck I can't wait to see how everything turns out!

Anonymous said...

Well I for one am bummed that I don't live close enough to go the reception to see your awesome pictures. Good luck I can't wait to see how everything turns out!

Erin Deegan said...

i think a day in the life sounds great! i hope you share the photos here too! simple is always better.

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

Don't think about it as a competition! It's going to be fun! You take beautiful photos; they are YOU! Just keep taking them the way you know how!

Kerri said...

I'm excited for YOU! If there's one thing I know about you from reading your blog the last couple of years....is that you always rise to the occasion and are always up for the challenge! I admire you for that. CANNOT wait to see what you come up with...because the pictures you take of your DAYS are always beautiful. :)

Debbie said...

You. Inspire. Me.
End of story.

Anonymous said...

Have faith in yourself because you're going to do great!!
We once went to a photography event to support my friend. She too was a nervous wreck! Her pics looked amazing, it was a fun night out and we celebrated after one of her photos was purchased.

Mitzi

Andrea @ little buckles said...

How fantastic would it be to see your pictures on the wall! I for one would love to come if I didn't live a zillion miles away :) of course you should do it. Every photo tells a story. Go for it!!!

Jen said...

Oh...and your everyday pics are gonna have them all wishing their lives were just aa perfect as yours...homework, dishes,laundry,beaches and fabulous family memories. Go get em!

Megan said...

I know exactly how you are feeling. I was an art major and felt this way most of the time getting my degree. Artists like to talk a lot about their work and what it means and how they can improve upon it. They will like to talk a lot about your work and what it means and how you can improve it. They are fond of critiques. But I can also tell you that they are the best groups of people, you will learn so much and you will be so sad when the class is over. Just have fun and don't be scared to put yourself out there. That is how we learn and grow...can't wait to see what you do!

Wish I could take the class with you!

sloan said...

omg, all at once i'm so impressed by you, so envious of you, so happy for you, so inspired by you, so excited for you - and for me .... can't wait to see it all unfold!! woot!! go kim!!

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

Hey Kim, I can tell that you are nervous, but you will do great with this new challenge!! You are creative and have a wonderful eye. Cannot wait to see what you do with this!! hugs, cathy

Erin (Out on a Limb) said...

I love this post. I love how honest and real you are, fears and all. It sounds daunting for sure, but the good kind. I think it takes a lot of guts to share your dirty floors and laundry with others. There is beauty in the every day. Your pictures are simple, real and beautiful. Go for it and good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'll definitely come to the reception!! I'll pretend like I don't know you and walk around saying, "These are good...but have you walked over there to see the pictures by that Kim lady? AMAZING!!" :)

You can do anything!!

Anne

Anonymous said...

Kim -- you inspire so many of us ... just the real life pictures (such as your DH on the floor in his socks) -- they are real, yet they tell a story;

I miss you so much!!!! I would love to be able to go to a reception where your pix are shown ... Your amazing .. and dont forget it xooxxo

Sue Robinson

mandy said...

don't back out.

take it from my a certified official master artist (i hope you can see my tongue in my cheek here)with her full on terminal degree in fine arts=your photos are as good as anything out there in professional art land.

seriously! i think the photos i see in blog land, often of laundry, children, and dirty floors are far better than most of the thesis work and faculty work i was around in grad school and better than much of the emerging artist work in philly, and actually, on par with a lot of the stuff in galleries in new work, so you better not back down missy!

mandy said...

and by new work i meant, new york, sheesh.

Sheryl said...

Kim, your pictures are always lovely. Please don't back out because I think you will be great. You have such a great family there and your pictures are always so natural. What could be better than that?

Jen said...

Hi! I just found out we will not be attending the volleyball tourney in your area this year. So sad. Hopefully next year.
Enjoy your week!

Nicolle said...

I think you will do so well, and just know that your photos are amazing. You inspire me so much with your pictures. Enjoy the journey of this class....I know you will have fun! I mean, look at these 3 pictures here....they are PERFECT. I really love the one of BSD. You capture life so well. So real. Nothing fake or posted about your pictures, and that is why I love them. Best of luck! xo.

Nicolle said...

posed, not "posted".

:)

Amy said...

You will totally rock this class. I wish I could do as well as you do at capturing "life."