Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Meet George...

The totally fab, totally retro, Cat in the Hat fishbowl is up and running. Thanks to Dani and Karina for all their helpful advice. We decided on a beta.  Because he was just too cool. All blue and fringe-y looking. His funk factor was the perfect match. For the perfect bowl.


Meet George.

The ballerinas and I went through a lot of names before finally deciding on George.

I wanted to name him Max. Because he's a Beta. Get it? BetaMax? The ballerinas didn't either. Goes back to the whole typewriter issue. BB finally won the argument over the name Max since her hamster is named Max. We wouldn't want the two to both come running when we called them to dinner, now would we?

From there we moved on to Bob. Because he has a pineapple in his bowl. I tried to convince them. We can tell everyone, "My name is Bob. That's Mr. SquarePants to you." They weren't buying that either.

We tossed around the cliche cutesy names. Swimmy. Fishy. Fin. Big veto on those too. He's not a cutesy fish.

Next were the fun, retro names. Harold. Herbie. Fred.

Everyone finally agreed on Fred. It was set. But then LB asked, "What was Papa's real name?"

"George," I replied, with a lump in my throat.

"Let's name him George. After Papa," LB declared. BB was totally on board.

And so it was decided. Our new pet fish was dubbed George. After Papa.

I'm not too sure Papa would feel overly honored that we named our fish after him. But it actually kind of fits. Betas are loners. Only one to a bowl. And Papa definitely preferred his "own bowl."

Although the ballerinas still don't understand that about him.
 That fish planter? One of my other recent thrift store finds. LOVE!

19 comments:

karren said...

I like your bowl, and your beautiful fish. Please keep us posted on how George does in there. I don't know why I have always believed that Betas have to have a tiny space. These are nice photos of this memorable event. I like the humor in your writing.

Dani said...

Welcome to bowl life, George! May you have excellent fishy adventures.

Love that planter. Nice touch.

Karina said...

Those neon pink rocks are the perfect compliment to George the Beta fish. His new habitat looks amazing. By the way - our long living 4 year old Goldfish was named Fred...but so was my favorite houseplant. And come to think of it - I did have trouble with them both running to the dinner table at the same time when I called. Thanks for the linky love.

Kerri said...

Your fish bowl looks so colorful...love the pineapple! George is a cool name...we go for the human names too. Brady named his cat Barbara.

Andrea @ little buckles said...

Hey George! How cool is that! I bet my Sam would love one as he is obsessed with Cat in the Hat. xo

sloan said...

LOVE the choice of that super cool looking beta fish for the super cool looking bowl - a match made in heaven! And I was right there with you on the Bob thing, but the name George?! Well, that's perfect too - love the meaning - and the intention. Love everything about this new little guy, right down to the pineapple!!

Nicolle said...

Oh, what a sweet choice for a name...gave me a lump in my throat as well! Love all the pictures here!!! I want that ceramic fish you found at the thrift store. :)) What a perfect accent to the fishbowl. So cute.

:)

Gabe said...

George fits that bowl to a tee!

Love the name and all it implies. Isn't it amazing what our kids see in their grandparents? So, different that our perspective!

Debbie said...

I completely get it. George is perfect!

Amy said...

The perfect fish with the perfect name and bowl. Love how colorful it is and your telling of the naming process :-)

Chicago Mom (Heather) said...

We have a betta fish too! We named him ziggy. I hope yours does well too. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog!

Bridget said...

George is a great name, and love his new "house"!

My Interior Life said...

I love the name George, and I love how you arrived at the name! When Pierce was in utero, we had narrowed down our choices to George and Pierce. We left the choice up to his sister. Not sure how smart it was to listen to an almost 3-year-old, but Pierce it was (and is)! But I still love George too!

Photography said...

GREAT POST! LOve the story behind the name :-) Cool planter!

Kristin said...

George has some pretty hip digs if I do say so myself. His bowl is so cool that it's actually got me to thinking I wouldn't mind a fish in our house if he could add that much charm and character to our countertop!

I love his name, and I love your previous post regarding your Papa, the other George. I'd never read that, and I too am a little numb after letting it all sink in. Life is just not fair. Why is it that something so dear to us has to be taken away, only to leave a gaping hole the size of Mount St. Helens in it's place? And as one part of us is falling apart, another has to remain strong and go on as if nothing has changed... I'm still struggling with that. George has some pretty big fins to fill, and I hope that in some crazy way his presence will bring you a little joy when you see him hanging out with that pineapple.

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

My FIL is George. My friend just named her dog George. And now the fish :-) Good times.....

Casey Martinez said...

Sweet meaning behind the name you all agreed on! And what a CUTE fishbowl!! I like fish..they are easy to take care of and they don't make any noise! hahaha. And I can even get kinda attached to their presence. Enjoy George!
Thanks for the sweet comment by the way;0. There are lots of plants that work great in full shade!! Good luck!

Teresa said...

How fun and I LOVE that fishbowl! Seriously, I want to move right in myself. And what a sweet story about how he got his name. Enjoy your new roomate!

Unknown said...

your fish planter......um....if it is missing...I totally stole it!

LOVE!