Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Ones They Love...

One week down. I'm still cookin' on the Joy of Love assignments. I skipped Friday's assignment because I want to wait until BSD returns for that one. But Saturday's was "The Ones They Love." This was very easy for both of the ballerinas.

Meet Bunny.
Bunny was given to the Big Ballerina when she was born by my mom's boss. Out of all the stuffed animals BB had, Bunny was the one she latched onto. BB's name used to be embroidered across the bottom, but that, along with the stuffing in Bunny's left arm are now long gone.

I can still picture BB toddling down our street in San Diego dragging Bunny behind her. She never went anywhere without Bunny then. And even though she doesn't take her everywhere she goes anymore, Bunny is still the first thing she packs when she goes on a sleepover. I know I'll shed a few tears when she no longer needs her beloved companion by her side at night.

Meet "Bumpies"
Can you tell what it is? This is the Little Ballerina's most precious possession in the world. It is the bumpers from her crib. They have gone everywhere with LB since we removed them from her crib rails. They have been left behind in stores. And I've had to drive over an hour back to retrieve them. The Little Ballerina sleeps with it every night. Cuddles up to it in the car. And cries out for it when she's sad or hurt. Nothing calms her down like her precious bumpies. It even got her through her most recent trip to the dentist.

Bumpies is literally in tatters. I have sewn it dozens of times, but the fabric is completely threadbare. And bits of fluff can be found throughout the house. Time is running out for this loved one. I honestly don't know what will happen when it finally disintegrates. Hopefully it can hang on for a few more years. Or LB will be completely lost.

12 comments:

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

How sweet! I still have my blankie from babyhood...

Amy @ Lucky Number 13 said...

love, love love these photos. priceless!

sloan said...

aw, kim, these are GREAT! I took very similar photos for this particular assignment, though you might have to wait a few days - my Joy of Love posts will definitely be out of order (story of my life!) ... thanks so much for the tip, barely a week in and I'm loving it!

Kristin said...

These shots are precious and priceless! I love that you thought to take pictures of something so simple and yet so precious in their lives. 20 years from now, these things could easily be forgotten, but now you've captured them in such a sweet way so they can be remembered forever!

Bridget said...

Love these pictures of the ballerinas' treasures!! Very sweet.

Anonymous said...

Perfect! I haven't done this assignment yet. I need to get on it! Today I tried to read about selective focus and metering.

All 3 of my kids have blankies. Before we left a hotel or ANY place my husband would say "got my wallet, 3 kids, and 3 blankies!"

Andrea @ little buckles said...

Awww, so sweet! I love the comfort things kids are attached to. They mean so much to them :) x

Nicolle said...

Oh, I LOVE these pictures and the stories behind each of them. It touches my heart because Boyd has his favorite "lovie" blanket that he can't live without. :)

{cindy} said...

These are so sweet!! Goodness I am so behind...how can that happen it is only the 7th!!:)
This is the first time I have ever heard of a bumper for a lovie!!!
LOVE that! She was even creative and independent back then huh?
Have a happy day

Christi said...

i'm 30 and still have my childhood blanket ... and it looks a lot like bumpies! my mom always sewed it back together. =)

Dani said...

I CAN SOOOOOO RELATE!!!!

Have you met Teddy? I really think I'm as attached to that darn bear as The Girl. I've had panic attacks when we thought he was lost. I've cried tears of joy upon him being found.

One day The Girl left him at school. The Mr. went back up to the building when he got off work, but the building was locked. I told him to climb the fence and break in if he had to. Luckily our custodian was there and saved The Mr. from being arrested for breaking and entering.

I adore Teddy. Can you imagine the depth of love The Girl has.

I could go on and on. I think I'll write a post about him.

Jen said...

Isnt it so funny what they get attached too.
A few years ago I had a patient (in her twenties) who slept with an old nightgown from her childhood. You just never know. I love them both!