Thursday, December 10, 2009

Tortillas and False Eyelashes

That's my shopping list for today. Sounds kinky, doesn't it? Wish I had some hot date night story to go along with that list, but unfortunately, neither of these items are for me. Nope, the tortillas are for the Little Ballerina's lunch. And, the false eyelashes are for the Big Ballerina's Nutcracker dress rehearsal tonight.

Yes, my nine year old has a much more exciting life than I do. She gets to float across the stage in her little angel costume, gracefully waving her arms, and batting her false eyelashes as the bright lights twinkle upon her diamonique earrings. For eight shows over the next two weeks, she is a "star," and the Little Ballerina and I are her lackeys. We get to drive her back and forth, eat on the fly, wrangle her crazy curls into a slick bun, sit for countless hours during classes and rehearsals, and, finally, we get the privilege of paying $30 plus Ticketmaster fees per ticket to see her dance.

But you know what? When I'm sitting in that overpriced seat, it's all worth it, because the smile on her face is priceless. She oozes pure joy. And I am a puddle of pride.

So, BB, when you make it big, I hope you'll remember to give a shout-out to your dear, old mom. I'll be the one in the audience, rocking a pair of your old false eyelashes, and shoving a tortilla in your little sister's mouth. Break a leg, girl!

6 comments:

lisa and laura said...

Your posts always make me giggle, Kim. The visual of you sitting in the audience in a beat down pair of false eyelashes stuffing tortillas down someone else's throat is nothing short of hilarious.

A Mom Anonymous said...

It takes SUCH dedication to be a mother! I hope this year is a success!!! It's wonderful that she enjoys it so much!
My little one always wants to wear my false eyelashes. I wear them often when I get all "fancy" as she says. I put them on her one time and she was fascinated!

Kim said...

Lila - Thanks, ladies! I love "beat down pair of false eyelashes." Wish I'd come up with that one! :)

Amy - Thanks, girl! I bet L is adorable in big ole lashes. When's A's next big show?

Corey Schwartz said...

Aw, how precious! Do we get to see video of her onstage? Jordan didn't get any graceful genes from me. (just writing ones :)

Kim said...

Corey- I wish. It is like Fort Knox in there. They won't let you anywhere with a camera or video camera. I have to shell out more $$ for the professional photographer's photos if I want a pic of my girls onstage. They get you coming and going.

Oh, and give J time. BB started out looking like a gorilla when she galloped. (No grace gene pool here either) It can be learned. :)

Daisy Whitney said...

Beautiful post! Being a mom rocks. Thanks for reading my branding article on Lisa and Laura's site!