Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Smoked Sausage and Corn Frittata

* I have no idea WHY this post is showing up in all caps. It doesn't show up that way as I type or preview it. Aaaarrrggghh!

The other night we did not feel much like cooking. Instead of copping out completely, we turned to the Cooking Light 5 Ingredient 15 Minute Cookbook. For a few days, I've been telling BSD we need to make something with cilantro because it's growing like wildfire in the garden. 

We lucked out and found a recipe that called for 3 tablespoons of cilantro. Not enough to  make a dent in the plant, but enough to trim down the tops that could easily go to seed if we're not careful.

My expectations were low. I just wanted something we could throw together quickly and not gag on. Surprisingly, it was really tasty! It would make a great brunch dish served with fresh fruit and toast, but it also works as a light dinner in a pinch. 

Our only obstacle was finding a non-stick skillet. It seems our only non-stick cookware is a wok. BSD was about to use the wok when I grabbed the cast-iron skillet and shoved it at him. He was not happy, and I knew my butt was on the line if the eggs stuck like glue to the pan. I held my breath as the frittata cooked and let out a big sigh of relief when it slid right out of its cast-iron cocoon onto our waiting plate. Phew!

The best part was the thrill of using an ingredient that we had grown in our own garden. It was our first "harvest" of the season. Yes, I know it's only an herb, but, hey, it's a start.

Smoked Sausage and Corn Frittata

Ingredients

  • cooking spray (we just used a little butter)
  • 4  ounces smoked turkey sausage, quartered lengthwise and diced
  • 1 1/2  cups frozen shoepeg white corn, thawed
  • 1/4  teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
  • 1  large egg
  • 4  large egg whites
  • 1/2  cup  (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 3  tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided

Preparation

1. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage; sauté 4 minutes or until browned. Stir in corn and, if desired, red pepper; reduce heat to medium-low.
2. Combine egg and egg whites in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Drizzle evenly over sausage mixture. Cover and cook 8 minutes or until almost set. Remove pan from heat; sprinkle evenly with cheese and 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro. Cover and let stand 2 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro. Cut into 4 wedges.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks deeeelish. And easy! I'm so doing that.

BUT, STOP YELLING AT ME.

:-)

liz said...

It's funny how we want our garden to grow, but then it grows TOO well and we feel this obligation to use it all. :)

I think that looks very yummy. Totally like something I'd enjoy.

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

Wow~that sounds so yummy! I love fresh cilantro!! mmmm!

Design A-Peele said...

Thanks Kim! You are so right. I am definitely on the hunt for anything. I just need to make sure it is big enough!

Crystal Escobar said...

That is so cool you have a garden. We started our first one this year, and I'm really hoping we can actually grow something. It would be nice to have all the FRESH veggies.
Anyway, I'm new to your blog, lovin it, and just became a follower. It's great to meet you!

Jen said...

Cilantro is my new love. Last year I didn't even know where to find it in the grocery store. Then I paid like $4 for organic! Whoa!
Totally love your humor with the Oscars....Ha! Classic!!!!
:) Jen

Gabe said...

Thanks for stopping by my site. . .love yours...good luck with the garden. . .I started a new one this year too(we are in a new house) I wanted to read Square Foot Garden too, but didn't get it in time for this year. Yours looks great!

Bring Pretty Back said...

That looks DELISH! The all caps - really cracked me up!

alissa {33shadesofgreen} said...

Hi Kim - Thanks so much for stopping by my blog - I'm glad you did because this recipe looks great! Following you now too!
Alissa

Heather said...

I'm impressed with you garden and this looks really tasty!