Sunday, June 27, 2010

Silly Millie

I am happy to report that Millie is back. Safe and sound. Well, with the Little Ballerina as her owner, I'm not sure how safe she really is...
Watch out, Millie! That's a looonggg way down for your little body. 

I am actually pretty shocked that she reappeared as easily as she did. I googled how to find a lost hamster and we were ready to go get night vision equipment as one person suggested. Luckily, we didn't need to resort to such drastic measures. 

We simply put her cage out in the middle of the playroom with treats on the floor leading into it. But I don't even think that was necessary. The Little Ballerina kept checking the playroom every hour or so and late that night she screamed to us downstairs, "I found Millie!" 

"No Way!" we thought. But the Big Ballerina and I ran upstairs, and sure enough, Millie ran down from a toy box and hid under a raised bookcase. Quick on her feet, BB grabbed a treat from the cage on the floor, sat down blocking the bookcase, and coaxed her right out of hiding. Simple Simon.

After witnessing this, I'm very grateful that we went to the "Mom and Pop" pet shop to get these little guys instead of the pet superstore. The woman there would not let us buy certain hamsters because they weren't used to being handled yet. Smart lady.

So, now I just have to disinfect the guest bedroom before Grandma comes back next month. Which will be a lot easier than keeping LB from spilling the beans that Millie took a joyride among her things. Shhhh!
 

10 comments:

Jen said...

Oh I am so glad you found her. I wish I would have seen the first post sooner. We lost our hamster several times...and we always found it at night. Once...beleive it or not, the cat brought it back upstairs into the bonus room where it's cage was. Alive!
Glad you are all reunited!

sloan said...

YAY!! so happy this story has a happy ending!! sleep well tonite ;-)

Bridget said...

So glad you found Millie! :D

Dani said...

Whew! Big sigh of relief!

Glad all is well. And that special night vision equipment was not needed.

Seizing My Day said...

Oh my goodness! Glad you found her! =)

knack said...

oh dear! we have had hamsters ....they are so cute....and naughty!

now we are on to guinea pigs! :)

hope you have a great week!

xo

Kerri said...

Yay! Happy to hear you found her...I mean him!

Angie said...

HA! To funny!! Glad to hear you guys found her!

cindy s said...

Oh, good lord. Lost hamsters. Countless lost hamsters in the household of my youth. Happy to hear yours had a happy ending.

Angie said...

Kim, just saw your comment! To funny!! I have a large strip of blue on one wall in my living room trying to decide and another strip with grey in my game room!! HA! Not only does life get in the way of the makeovers- but I'm so indecisive!! ;)