Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrating Earth Day with a Green Smoothie

Happy Earth Day! In honor of this special day, I decided to "Go Green" in an area that I am most definitely brown. My daily beverage. 

Sadly, this is my beverage of choice each day.

It's actually kind of pretty, isn't it? Those cherry-red letters bring a smile to my face. And the gallon of Diet Coke inside puts the pep in my step. Unfortunately, the aspartame will probably soak my cells with cancer while it's at it.

So for Earth Day today, I traded in my beloved Big Gulp for a Green Smoothie.

Isn't she gorgeous?!?!? I want to decorate my house with accents this color. What  a bright, springy shade of green! Not only is this smoothie pretty to look at it actually tastes good. And it's full of cancer-busting nutrients! It's health in a glass. What more could you ask for? Maybe a splash of vodka? You don't even need it.This glass of green goodness gave me such a high. After drinking it, I had the energy boost of five Red Bulls. My arms tingled. And my vision is razor sharp. Major buzz! Awesome.

I'm going to play around with different ingredients to see which combinations taste best. But this one is a definite winner. Anyone care to join me? 

Green Smoothie
1 1/2 cups orange-pineapple juice (It's what was in the fridge, but OJ would work too)

1 banana, cut into chunks (a frozen banana would probably be even better)

4 oz. yogurt (I used TJ's French vanilla b/c it's what we had, but plain or flavored is fine.)

2 BIG handfuls of fresh spinach

Pour juice into blender. Add banana chunks, yogurt and spinach. Blend on high until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Cheers!

4 comments:

Lisa @ lists in my pocket said...

So, this looks amazing, but I'm weirded out about the spinach. Are you sure it doesn't taste like spinach? Say yes and I'll try it!

Kim said...

I PROMISE (cross my heart and hope to die) it does NOT taste like spinach. If anything I tasted banana.

Jess said...

i tried one a couple years ago and actually liked it...i am so anti green stuff....you just inspired me to try it again!

Melissa said...

morning- just stumbled across you and loved this post...i threw a pkt of organic green tea in my basket at the grocery store this morning, mainly as it made me feel like i was doing something 'good' for myself just by buying it....but i am definately giving this recipe ago...
melissa :)

http://misssewandso.blogspot.com