Sunday, January 2, 2011

Slide Show Sunday: New Year's Eve 2010

A few years ago we spent New Year's Eve in New York with my parents. We went into NYC to take the ballerinas to the American Girl doll store. It was heaven on earth for them. For the adults, it was an overcrowded nightmare. But BSD and the Big Ballerina probably had the most fun stopping at every hot dog vendor they happened upon. I think the final count was five "street dogs" before the day was done.

New York City is my parents' stomping grounds. It's where they both basically grew up, met and worked their entire lives. For many years, my dad worked for the Associated Press in Rockefeller Center so that day we stopped inside to warm up. My dad tried to take the Big Ballerina ice skating, but the line was way too long. I think back on that day often. I so wish he would have been able to take her. I know it would have been a lifelong memory for her. Unfortunately all the ballerinas remember of that moment was when Grandma spilled coffee on BSD.

This year I decided to make that memory for the ballerinas. Unfortunately, it was without Papa. Without Grandma. And without Rockefeller Plaza. But it was close.

There was snow.

There were crowds. 

There was ice skating.

And best of all. There was love.


Hopefully, we'll get back to New York City one year and do the real Rockefeller Plaza skating for Papa. But for now. This felt good.

Later that evening, at our house, we carried on with the festivities. I think the Big Ballerina had the most fun. She partied like a rock star.


The Little Ballerina did her share of partying too.

There may have even been some table dancing,

a teeny bit of champagne,

a bunch of kissing,

and some careful countdown monitoring.

And finally, the stroke of midnight arrived.

 And we were all awake. And together.

And hell bent on making sure the whole neighborhood knew it!

17 comments:

sloan said...

hi Kim - I see you're up late like me ;-) Hope that means you're feeling better? I absolutely LOVE this post, I can relate on so many levels, from the profound to the silly ... I loved every word and every photo, great way to end my day ... nighty night!

{cindy} said...

Love this Kim!
We are such party poopers here...sleeping way before 12!!! Sadly, I don't even think our girls know about the count down at midnight!
Glad you made those ice skating memories on your own. I can see and feel the love.
Great photos.
Enjoy the day

Kerri said...

Love how you started this post Kim...I can feel the love too as Cindy said. Your pictures are so FUN...love how you did the snapshots!! I also LOVE your home!

Gabe said...

That first photo of little ballerina skating is priceless. . .her face says it all!

What a fun night! and a wonderful family memory!

Jill said...

what great pictures! Looks like you brought the New Year in right and with lots of love and joy!!
Wishing you all the best in 2011!
Blessings,
Jill

Kristi said...

Those pictures are all so cute! Looks like the perfect way to bring in the new year!!

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Totally coming to your house to ring in the new year next year!

Nicolle said...

I LOVE these pictures. This post is really sweet and sentimental.

Your family looks like you all had a blast on NYE. I also love that you let the neighborhood know it was the new year! :)

I'm very obsessed with New York City, it's like another planet to me. I think that is so cool that your parents lived and worked there. Wow.


ps. your kitchen is so pretty!

mandy said...

very cool new york photos...gads i love nyc.

it looks like you all had so much fun on new year's eve. i remember celebrating with my family just like that when i was a girl. very good memories.

Bridget said...

Loving your New Year's Eve pictures! Glad you all had such a good time :)

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

I LOVE all of these!! You really captured the spirit - looks like you guys were having F U N!!!

Molly Melnick said...

Hey there! New follower here..
love the pics, love the knitted hats you and that adorable husdand are wearing!!
Lisa

Dani said...

Woooooo! I feel like I'm there partying with you!

Excellent New Year's post.

knack said...

how awesome are you!! Fantastic post....loved it....loved all the craziness....like table dancing and pots and pans! you all are one beautiful family!

how special your words are ....so glad you ha such a great night!

....and did I mention the pots and pans ROCK?!!

xo

Jen said...

Loving your little party! Looks like a great start to a great year!
I've enjoyed catching up over here. I've been unplugged and I'm glad to be back!
Happy New Year!
I found out that we'll be in your area in May!

Nicolle said...

Hi Kim, you are sweet! I am fine. My sis was here for 2 days, but even with her here, I was feeling yucky. I am ok though. Just a lot weighing on my mind, etc, etc. I'd gladly hop a plane to come see you, and the beach. :)

Nicolle said...

ok, I swear I'm not stalking you! :) Will you email me again so I can have your email address. I thought I saved it to my contacts, but I can't find it. thx!!!

njweseman@yahoo.com