Tuesday, October 13, 2009

When I Grow Up: The Theme Song

On Sunday afternoons, the big ballerina has a swim clinic. While she works on her strokes, I wander around Trader Joe's alone checking out the interesting food packages, gorging on their gourmet samples, and tasting this wine and that one and that one. It is me time at its finest.

When her class is over, we pop over to Joann's Fabrics pointing out all the fabrics that catch our eye until we finally choose the one she will use to make a new creation for her American Girl doll. From there, we make our way to Skinny Dip where we fill our bowls with low fat frozen yogurt turned high fat by the heaping mounds of candy we ladle on top. We sit together, sharing our treats and conversation. Just the two of us. It is mother daughter time at its finest.

On the drive home, giddy from our sugar highs, we crank the radio and sing along to the songs we know. This Sunday we tuned in to HOT 100 (or WIFC - Wholly Inappropriate for Children) so we could really get down. I previewed the song, heard the words, "When I Grow Up" and thought, No Way! I have a theme song? How COOL! 

From the backseat the big ballerina squealed, "Yes, Mama! I love this song. Turn it up!" I turned up the volume and found myself head bobbing to the beat. A theme song AND a great beat! This is so much fun! I wonder what it's going to recommend I be when I grow up. I love this song! 

Big ballerina is grooving in the back seat too. She's singing along to the chorus. I ask, "How do you know the words?"

"Julia has it on her iPod." she replies quickly and goes back to singing. I hear her from the back seat....

When I grow up
_wanna be famous
_wanna be a star
I wanna be in movies

When I grow up
_ _____ ____ ___ world
Drive nice cars
I wanna have ______

When I grow up
Be on TV
____ ____ me
___ __ magazines


We shoulder roll in our seats through some random lyrics until the chorus comes along again. I listen to her more closely this time. 

When I grow up
I wanna be famous
I wanna be a star
I wanna be in movies

When I grow up
I wanna see the world
Drive nice cars
I wanna have boobies


WHAT?!?! Did you just say boobies!?!?!

This time I listen to the radio more closely. Sure enough I hear them say, "I wanna have boobies". I look at the digital display to see who the artist is. Of course, they said boobies. The song is by The Pussycat Dolls. I hate this song.

Guess I need to rethink this theme song idea...and this portion of our Sunday mother daughter bonding experience.

Sidenote: When I Googled the lyrics to post them here, I discovered that last line is actually... I wanna have groupies. Listen to the song yourself, and tell me they're not saying boobies! When I Grow Up  (Sorry it's a video. I don't know how to just post the music portion.)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I, being a formal stay-at-home-mom who is now a full-time-working-never-home-but-still-taking-care-of-everything-and-everyone mom or "FTWNHBSTCOEAE-mom", also enjoyed some alone time with MY big ballerina yesterday! We had such fun together. I want more of those times, but I think we'll have to stay home from work and school to get them! I'm glad you have your Sunday routine with your BB - keep it up and those Mean Ass Woman moments will mean very little... You're a great mom, great wife, and a great writer.

Anonymous said...

The first part of your post sounds so romantic to me. Having two so close together, and being the primary security object of both of them, I very rarely get to go one on one, especially with Carina. After reading your post, I did get to take her to the state fair, just the two of us. It seemed almost luxurious to be able to sit on a bench and just watch her eat an ice cream cone.

Regarding your theme song - find out if Big Ballerina knows any songs about not doing the dishes. I want to have a theme song too. Even if it does mention boobies.

Kim said...

Anne - Thanks for your sweet words. I can't even imagine how you manage it all. You are one heck of a FTWNHBSTCOEAE-mom and friend. Glad you and K had some quality time together. Maybe next Sunday I'll take big ballerina to for a pole dancing class instead. I'm pretty sure they don't teach that at BVI.

Fawn - It is wonderful to get that one on one time with my girls. It rarely happens here either, but when it does it's magic.:) I'll ask her if Julia has any songs on her playlist about not doing the dishes. hehe...