Thursday, April 26, 2012

Family Photographs

Remember my photo class? The one called "Finding your Vision Courage?" Well, it finally ended. After many weeks of shooting, editing, writing and crying. It finally ended. And I survived.


The hardest part? Writing the damn Artist Statement. Me. The one who started out with an interest in writing. Who discovered a passion for taking photos along the way. Struggled to write the damn statement.

And I know why. It's the same reason I always struggle with writing for classes. It becomes too personal. The thoughts that I keep bottled up inside me. That I never want to see the light of day. Are the only ones I seem to write about in class situations. Because if I'm going to write. It has to mean something to me. And the things that mean something to me. Are the things I don't like to talk about.

And of course we had to read our statements aloud. Or rather our partners read our statements aloud. And in my case. She read. While I bawled. Yep. Big heaving, gasping tears. Totally embarrassing. It sucked. And then to top it all off? My partner told me to basically cut out everything I wrote.

Later others in the class made me promise not to change it. And told me not to read it on the day of the reception. So I wouldn't get emotional. In the end, I did edit it. Basically making it longer.

At the eleventh hour BSD found out he would not be home for the reception. Needless to say I was crushed. But the reception turned out to be a lot of fun. Thanks to some very dear friends. Who came to support me. And stayed the whole two hours despite an absolutely gorgeous beach day passing them by.

A table filled with snacks and drinks kept the ballerinas and their friends happy. And my friend's father-in-law volunteered to keep us all entertained as our very own piano man. What a treat that was!


In the end I learned a lot. About myself. About my vision. About courage. I'm sick and tired of the photos I took in this class. But I look forward to taking more. So I'd say the class was a success.

Family Photographs
Growing up, I have fond memories of my father as the family photographer. The worn leather strap of his Leica hung from his shoulder throughout our family travels. He photographed our family, doing ordinary things in extraordinary places, and he brought that world back home for us through slides projected onto our living room wall.

Just like my father, my family inspires me to pick up my camera. Beyond the family trips and birthday celebrations, I am captivated by capturing the everyday moments. Those moments that I don’t want to forget: the way my youngest curls her blankie around her fingers before she drifts off to sleep, or the dozens of chocolate chip cookies we’ve baked together over the years; even a simple hand-scrawled note or a family game of cards.

The photographs displayed here are simple: a family doing ordinary things in ordinary places. This collection represents a season of our family life, literally and figuratively. Other seasons will come and go, and with my Canon hanging from my shoulder by its patchwork strap, I will continue to document our “ordinary” life. As my father did before me, I will leave a legacy in the form of photographs for my children. Simple. Ordinary. Extraordinary.


***
Note: The two photographs from the reception were taken with my dad's camera. *big cheesy grin*

14 comments:

Jen said...

A wonderful legacy. So much of ourselves is in the "ordinary". We should celebrate it for sure. I love these pics and I'm so glad the class was a success.

Gabe said...

Love that you used his camera and love what you wrote about him and what he taught you!

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

Oh Kim, this is amazing. So proud of you, girl!

sloan said...

not sure how i missed the 10 on 10 post below, but man oh man am i ever glad i caught this one - a.m.a.z.i.n.g!! the written piece is perfection, btw ... love it all!! congratulations, friend - well done!

{cindy} said...

Amazing Kim!!
I know you know what an awesome accomplishment this was.:) The photos really are amazing and they truly capture the "ordinary" moments and each one of them really does tell a story. I can read them all.:)
good for you
have a happy day kim

PS
and missed you!!!:)

booksandcandy said...

WOW AMAZING!!

Megan said...

I am so proud of you Kim! I have been wondering about you and how this was all coming along, trusting that you were very busy pulling it all together. Artist statements are very difficult and I always have a hard time with them as well as showing my art. It makes you feel very vulnerable. I love the pictures and words you chose and LOVE that the hair brushing picture made the cut. It's my fav.

Andrea @ little buckles said...

Fantastic! You must be so proud and they look pride of place up there xxx

Dana @ Bungalow'56 said...

I love your wall of pics. I was trying to look at the other ones on the wall and they don't interest me near as much as what you've captured. You have a photographer's eye for sure. I love these so much I want to try my hand at it. I find my indoor everyday pictures are very lacklustre. But you've managed to capture something in each and every one. Just lovely.
Dana

Kyria @ Travel Spot said...

I love your pics. I think it takes COURAGE to do that project! And I am SO glad that the photo of the ballerina/mirror/hair shot made it in! I love that one.

mandy said...

oh, wow, the words, the photos, it's all wonderful. beautiful beautiful beautiful work and so proud of you!

Erin (Out on a Limb) said...

Kim, you nailed it. Your written piece, tears and all, is so touching and real. You said it so well: there truly is beauty in the extraordinary and you captured that so beautifully with your dad's camera and your honesty.

So glad the class was a success for you!

Nicolle said...

You are so beautiful. I love you and your girls in that first picture. I would have bawled too, and I think it takes a lot of courage to write something like that. You are amazing and your photography truly inspires me. I just got a new phone and I've been taking lots of pictures with it and ignoring my real camera, but now I want to pick up my real camera again. I love ya friend!

ps.
There is a chance that I might be visiting my SIL in Fredericksburg, VA sometime this summer, and if so, we plan on making a trip to VA Beach, and if that happens...I want to see you! :)

humble habit said...

Beautiful photographs, you capture something special in them all. Your family are lucky to have these.