Monday, February 8, 2010

Dear Dad...

That was me who just tried to call your hospital room. I didn't think you could answer the phone, but I thought maybe, just maybe you'd find the strength.

I am so glad I got to see you this weekend. I am so glad I was able to sit right next to you on the bed and hold your hand. I am so glad I told you that I love you. And that you were able to say it back. I am so glad we shared some fond memories. You remembered them too.

Holding your hand felt good. Like when I was a little girl and I used to reach out for your hand. I'm glad I stayed right there on the bed holding your hand because I realized that even though your eyes were closed you were not asleep. You were listening. You spoke to me through our hands.

I told you I'll be back next week. I told you to hold on. You showed me that you weren't sure you could. I told you it's OK. You do what you have to do. It's OK, Dad.

It's OK, Dad.

I love you.

You are not alone.

I love you.

It's OK, Dad.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not good for girls with head colds to start crying above a moisture-sensitive laptop, but oh well. I'm so sorry you have to go through this, Kim. I guess at some point, most of us do, though. My dad has pancreatic cancer too. Thinking of you.

Corey Schwartz said...

Oh, Kim. I am SO sorry. Was hoping it wouldn't be this fast :(

Kathy Nemec-Lucas Photography said...

((((KIM)))) I am so glad you made the decision to go, you did great!!! I am sorry.

Sue said...

Kim, I'm so happy you went to see him... recalling those memories and telling him how much you loved him.... It was the right choice.. Sending you lots of love, support and prayers your way ((( Huggs ))) Sue R